Trivia Question 10-12-18 Graduation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Of all the graduates of West Point from the class of !853, he achieved the highest command position, but, not the highest rank.

credit: @hughes

bonus:
This Union officer fought at Glorieta Pass, had once been expelled from a state legislature for striking another member, was ordered by General N.P. Banks to "correct the evil" of stragglers seizing commissary supplies, and died in a confrontation in which he told his assailant, "Shoot and be dam-ed!"

Who was he?

credit: @amweiner

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Malingerer

2nd Lieutenant
General Edward R.S. Canby?

Edit - I'm not sure which question you're answering here, but Canby isn't a correct answer to either one.

He graduated from West Point in 1839, not 1853, and though he did fight at Glorieta Pass, he doesn't fit the other clues in the bonus question.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
John M. Schofield, who quickly rose from First Lieutenant to Brigadier General, to Secretary of War, and on to Commanding General of the Army.

Bonus: those words were said by Brigadier General John P. Slough, who commanded forces in Glorietta, became Military Governor of Alexandria, Virginia. He was speaking to his foe Rynerson, and died in the duel in Santa Fe, NM in front of today's La Fonda Hotel.

I think this question can be argued multiple ways. The question does not specify rank or command position during the war. Given that, and considering their entire careers I will say Philip Sheridan, as he was appointed General of the Army following Grant and Sherman. There would have been no higher command position being in command of the entire army.

Otherwise you had multiple graduates that were Army commanders during the war, including McPherson, Hood and Schofield.

For the bonus question: John P Slough

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)