Trivia Question 9-18-18 Famous Relative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
We all know Lt. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson's nickname was "Stonewall". Did you know Jackson had a famous relative who also fought for the confederacy and had his own well-know nickname? Whos is this relative and what was his nickname?

credit: @connecticut yankee

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
There has been a report around for years that Stonewall was a distant cousin of Old Hickory (Andrew Jackson). It appears genealogists disagree over this relationship these days.

Maybe you are related! (see here)

Edit - Whether or not Stonewall was related to Old Hickory, Andrew died in 1845, so he did not fight for the Confederacy.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah! I knew that one!!

That should be "Mudwall" Jackson, William Lowther Jackson, a cousin of Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson through their great-grandparents, John Jackson (1715 or 1719 – 1801) and Elizabeth Cummins (also known as Elizabeth Comings and Elizabeth Needles) (1723–1828).

But hoosier, have mercy with all of us who might answer Alfred E. Jackson or John K. Jackson!
Wikipedia says:
William L. Jackson is one of three Confederate generals associated with the nickname "Mudwall", a reference to the "Stonewall" nickname given to his cousin Thomas. While William Jackson has been known as such for a long time, it was found by noted historian Garry W. Gallagher that the nickname was originally given to fellow Confederate General Alfred E. Jackson from Tennessee (no family relation). It seems the two were mixed up in the Southern Historical Society Papers in 1906 and the error was involuntarily repeated afterwards. Sometimes the name is even attributed to another (likewise not related) Confederate Brigadier, John K. Jackson. It is also possible that at times the name was attributed to several of the Jacksons simultaneously.[8][9

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=William_Lowther_Jackson&oldid=842963514

"Stonewall" Jackson's brother-in-law, the "irascible" and "eccentric" General D.H. Hill, was called "Harvey" by those who knew him best, his friends.

Edit - Harvey was D. H. Hill's middle name. My dictionary says a nickname can be either: 1. An additional or substitute neam given to a person; or 2. A familiar, often shorter, form of a proper noun, such as "Dick" for "Richard."

I would not consider a middle name to fit either of these definitions of a nickname.

hoosier

I guess the most famous Stonewall Jackson’s relative fighting in the confederacy would be his brother-in-law, General Daniel H. Hill (although he did have another brother-in-law General Rufus Barringer that did have a nickname but it seems to have been acquired at college) so therefore I’ll go with Hill’s name: “Old Rawhide”.
“Major General Robert E Rodes of the Army of Northern Virginia: A Biography” by Darrell Collins, page 184.

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)