1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Albert Pike, the KKK, and Freemasonry

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by Henry Brown, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Henry Brown

Henry Brown Corporal

my questions are , is there a 19th century connection between masons and knights of the golden circle ? was albert pike , a mason, at the core of the KGC or KKK ?
    i have found many sources of material on these subjects but none without bias and most have extreme prejudice or dismiss it as nonsense.

mofederal likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Borderruffian

Borderruffian 1st Lieutenant

Pike was a a prewar Indian Agent poltician etc he was an not a good general, he in fact resigned,as for being a mason I believe he was but so were many men North and South.
    The KCG? Don't know never heard that most of the KGC were in the north and the border states.
    As for the Klan. ..the KKK was formed in Pulaki Tn by former CS officers from NBF's command .

unicornforge and mofederal like this.
  4. mofederal

mofederal Captain

I did see a program on I believe on the History Channel. It was about The Masons, and the segment I saw was on Albert Pike. It talked about the rumors and stories surrounding Pike, but it said the KGC and KKK connections were unproven stories or theories. I have also seen some episodes of Codes and Conspiracies on AHC. Pike was a Mason above anything else, he created the 33rd Degree, and he was eventually buried in the House of the Temple in Washington, DC.

Borderruffian likes this.
  5. mofederal

mofederal Captain

I have seen a couple of stories concerning the KGC in Missouri during the war. One was an old article from a newspaper that told about a Confederate agent (I can't remember who he was) who gave an account to a group at a KGC meeting in Missouri. His talk concerned the assault on Fort Davidson during the Battle of Pilot Knob. I can't find the source right now.

6. christian soldier

christian soldier First Sergeant

Albert Pike was a thirty-third degree mason and the author of a book entitled: "Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry" in 1872. This book simply explains "esoteric Masonic philosophy" and was published by the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite, 33rd Degree. The masonic fraternity is not and has never been associated or affiliated with the Knights of the Golden Circle or the KKK. The morals and dogma of freemasonry are not conducive to the hateful rhetoric of the KKK. Freemasonry is the largest fraternity in the world and performs more charity work for the underprivileged than any other charitable group in the world. On the other hand, freemasons have traced their fraternity back to the Knights Templar. David.

7. Youngblood

Youngblood Sergeant

If you really want to bake your noodle look at Pikes predictions for future wars....

8. roberts

roberts Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Pike has been accused of both being the head of the Arkansas Klan and the chief legal counsel for the whole organization. He was never prosecuted and information about this secret organization is in short supply and what exists is conflicting. He moved from Arkansas to Memphis after the war and started a newspaper. I don't know about his Klan affiliation but he publicly feuded with N B Forrest and his associates. Later he moved to D.C. and was quite prominent in the Free Mason movement. There is a statue honoring his masonic role in Washington, but it has seen a fair amount of protest over the years for both his Confederate connection as well as the Klan accusations.

NH Civil War Gal likes this.
  9. bankerpapaw

bankerpapaw 2nd Lieutenant

Pike was a big-wig with the Masons.

10. WJC

WJC Moderator Moderator

Good post: keeping a tie to the CW. Lets all try to avoid mention of modern politics or religion....

NH Civil War Gal likes this.
  11. Henry Brown

Henry Brown Corporal

***Edited by Moderator***
    as to the connection between freemasonry and the kkk, i believe albert pike was instrumental in some areas of the kkk's formation, just as he had been as Sovereign Grand Commander of the ScottishRite's Southern Jurisdiction and author of Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, and that many ex-confederates belonged to both.
    ***Edited by Moderator***

It was in Nashville that Albert Pike and other Confederate generals met in 1867 to form a southern states-wide terrorist KKK, expanding the little project they had started two years before in Pulaski, Tenn. The organization he formed in Nashville designated Pike its chief judiciary officer, and its Grand Dragon for Arkansas.

As owner-publisher of the Memphis, Tennessee, Daily Appeal, Albert Pike wrote in an editorial on April 16, 1868:

"With negroes for witnesses and jurors, the administration of justice becomes a blasphemous mockery. A Loyal League of negroes can cause any white man to be arrested, and can prove any charges it chooses to have made against him. ...The disenfranchised people of the South ... can find no protection for property, liberty or life, except in secret association.... We would unite every white man in the South, who is opposed to negro suffrage, into one great Order of Southern Brotherhood, with an organization complete, active, vigorous, in which a few should execute the concentrated will of all, and whose very existence should be concealed from all but its members."
    (A copy of that issue of Pike's paper may be viewed at the Library of Congress, as may the books mentioned in this article.) http://freemasonrywatch.org/albertpikeandkkk.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2017

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)