1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Artillery Flag

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by bjett, Oct 10, 2018 at 1:28 PM.

1. bjett

bjett Cadet

IMG_0301.jpg
    I am seeking additional info on this flag. It was placed in auction years ago by an ancestor of William Miller Owen of the famed Washington Artillery of New Orleans. In addition to the flag, letters and other papers of Owen's were auctioned. The flag measures 36" X 36" and the dye and thread analysis is consistent with Civil War period flags. I took a picture of a picture and have no idea of the numbers that appear as the flag does not have the numbers shown.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018 at 7:32 AM

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Its very hard to evaluate this flag without looking at the stitching, cloth etc. Without some sort of provenance it is VERY hard to place it with the Washington Artillery and I don't believe it a CS flag.

4. Legion Para

Legion Para Captain Retired Moderator

It is impossible to evaluate this flag based on these photographs. The Washington Artillery are a well documented unit (pre War, Wartime and post-War).

Who did the dye and thread analysis?

Do you have the auction catalog?

5. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Here is a Washington Artillery flag on display at Confederate Memorial Hall in New Orleans:

2017-10-26 19.42.04.jpg

6. bjett

bjett Cadet

I am familiar with the battle flag of the 5th. The flag in question is a non-regulation flag. I am curious as to the purpose of a flag of this size. I need to request the dye analysis individual, I don't recall at the moment. The flag was auctioned years ago so no catalog and has been in private possession since then. I do not know the provenance at this time. Primarily just curious of the purpose.

mofederal likes this.
  7. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Major

8. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore Sergeant Major

Owen wrote, In Camp and Battle with the Washington Artillery of New Orleans, Boston: Ticknor and Company, 1885. He also wrote, Third Day at Gettysburg, which appeared in Camp-Fire Sketches and Battlefield Echoes.

9. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

If original, It was used as a parade or garrison flag due to its size.

mofederal and bdtex like this.
  10. Legion Para

With all due respect @ucvrelics.com, your statement is incorrect.

@bjett stated the flag is 36" X 36".

Regulation issue battle flags for the ANV were 48 inches square for infantry units, 36 inches square for artillery units and 30 inches square for cavalry – but as the war progressed this was not always followed.

Union Regimental flags were even larger in size.

Confed_Battle_Flag_18NCT_NCMOH.jpg

Lanyard Puller likes this.
  11. Legion Para

Items belonging to William Miller Owen were auctioned off years ago and now reside in private collections.

If this flag was in that auction or some other one, then I have the catalog in my reference library. Unfortunately I am currently away and I can't check things at this time.

bdtex likes this.
  12. bjett

bjett Cadet

wow, what are the chances you have the auction catalog referencing the sale of this flag?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)