Artillery Flag

IMG_0301.jpg

I am seeking additional info on this flag. It was placed in auction years ago by an ancestor of William Miller Owen of the famed Washington Artillery of New Orleans. In addition to the flag, letters and other papers of Owen's were auctioned. The flag measures 36" X 36" and the dye and thread analysis is consistent with Civil War period flags. I took a picture of a picture and have no idea of the numbers that appear as the flag does not have the numbers shown.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I am familiar with the battle flag of the 5th. The flag in question is a non-regulation flag. I am curious as to the purpose of a flag of this size. I need to request the dye analysis individual, I don't recall at the moment. The flag was auctioned years ago so no catalog and has been in private possession since then. I do not know the provenance at this time. Primarily just curious of the purpose.

Legion Para

Captain
Retired Moderator
If original, It was used as a parade or garrison flag due to its size.
With all due respect @ucvrelics.com, your statement is incorrect.

@bjett stated the flag is 36" X 36".

Regulation issue battle flags for the ANV were 48 inches square for infantry units, 36 inches square for artillery units and 30 inches square for cavalry – but as the war progressed this was not always followed.

Union Regimental flags were even larger in size.

Confed_Battle_Flag_18NCT_NCMOH.jpg

Legion Para

Captain
Retired Moderator
View attachment 206850
I am seeking additional info on this flag. It was placed in auction years ago by an ancestor of William Miller Owen of the famed Washington Artillery of New Orleans. In addition to the flag, letters and other papers of Owen's were auctioned. The flag measures 36" X 36" and the dye and thread analysis is consistent with Civil War period flags. I took a picture of a picture and have no idea of the numbers that appear as the flag does not have the numbers shown.
Items belonging to William Miller Owen were auctioned off years ago and now reside in private collections.

If this flag was in that auction or some other one, then I have the catalog in my reference library. Unfortunately I am currently away and I can't check things at this time.

Items belonging to William Miller Owen were auctioned off years ago and now reside in private collections.

If this flag was in that auction or some other one, then I have the catalog in my reference library. Unfortunately I am currently away and I can't check things at this time.
I enjoy the research, do you have a suggestion(s) of the auction house that sold the items belonging to William Miller Owen?

Any chance you could relay the info on the auction catalog you reference?

I don't see this flag listed, but I found an auction at which William Miller Owen's portrait, personal letters, orders, CW books, wartime photos, and his sword were sold. Most were in lots 557-603.

http://www.nealauction.com/archive/1007/lot/lottext/501-600.shtml
October 6th & 7th, 2007

If they sold all of that, they may have handled the flag as well?
Might help narrow it down?

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)