Civil War Humor.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

rosefiend

First Sergeant
I posted this elsewhere because I couldn't find this thread. But now I found it! So here you go.

NASHVILLE DAILY UNION, January 24, 1863, p. 3, c. 2

A Demoralized Soldier.

They tell a good story on a "Pennsylvania Reserve" man, at a certain battle. He was running to the rear (changing base) as fast as he could fly, when he was stopped by the provost guard, who asked if he was wounded. "Don't stop me! don't stop me! I'm demoralized as hell!" He passed.

A Confederate POW led through a Federal camp began to observe US stamped on tents, wagons, caissons and other equipment, after a while taken in by it all he turned to the guards and remarked: I see y’all use that US stuff too.

CSA it is a fact they (US) was one of the CSA's biggest suppliers. That is why we fought so many battles with them..........To get their stuff once they commenced to running.......:frantic:We had to get it from somewhere........

Respectfully,

William

Last edited:

kholland

Captain
Retired Moderator
article-0-12282C07000005DC-399_468x804.jpg

Not sure this is Civil War "anti" humor or just plain"politically incorrect" thinking at the Gettysburg National Military Park visitors' center bookstore. They had them on sale for a week in March of this year before they were pulled from the shelves. Some were available online but only 250 were made (so far). C´mon man!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-assassin-john-wilkes-booth-article-1.1038643

Last edited:
Not sure this is Civil War humor or "politically incorrect" thinking at the Gettysburg National Military Park visitors' center bookstore. They had them on sale for a week in March of this year before they were pulled from the shelves. Some were available online but only 250 were made (so far).

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/gettysburg-store-pulls-bobblehead-dolls-president-lincoln-assassin-john-wilkes-booth-article-1.1038643
That really takes the cake - and at the park bookstore ! I'm struggling to picture the chain of events that led to that being created and sold at the park.

I also think it's notable that the article felt compelled to explain who Booth was and what Gettysburg was. Another case in point about folks not knowing our history.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)