Ami's SOA Civil War Quilts: Era, Commemorative, Inspired

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
I agree, Annie. To me that quilt has the look of the 1920's.
I just saw this, so sorry! And, right? I understand ' Let the buyer beware ' is the general maxim but why? It should not have to be a maxim at all. This quilt does seem around 50 years off the mark? Playing on someone's love of their heritage isn't really ' fair game '. We get this all the time where I live. ' PA Dutch ' antiques sold, and there are polyester patches.

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
Thanks, @JPK Huson 1863 for the great quilts posted above.
I learned quilting completely by hand, so have never adapted to machine.

Love these quilts, ladies and gentlemen! :thumbsup:

Yes, it must have been such a time saver, when machines were able to zip out those long seams. I never learned to use them, either. We were so very lucky as children to be witness to, and part of what had been a centuries long tradition on our Appalachian church. The ladies still quilted, like the old bees. Wish I knew how large the frame really was- as a child it was as big as a swimming pool.

It was serious stuff. Children did not have their own place around the frame, we were next to one of the ladies who kept an extremely close eye on our work. Really look at a quilt- those teeny, perfect stitches are amazing but add to them each one was drawn through layers. The bottom stitch, unseen by the quilter, had to be just as perfect, needle coming back up exactly where it had to be. Keeping the right amount of tautness was actually stressful, given an expert hovering over you.

I can't find a photograph of the type of frame they used. It spread more of the quilt out than frames I'm seeing on Pinterest and various bogs, etc.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
IMG_20170923_135950.jpg

I do not even know how to begin! I went to a quilt show over the weekend with some ladies and after the viewing all the fabulous things there we took a trip to the nearby local quilt shop. A Mennonite run shop that had the most wonderful fabrics and products as well as houses a quilt museum! When I entered the shop from the back with my friends (one who happens to teach quilting classes there), I noticed a lady struggling to reach some bolts of fabric high up on on a display rack. I am 5' 10'' so I helped her get them down and she was thankful and asked me to cut two yards of each. When she saw the amused look on my face, we had a good laugh! She just figured because I was helping her I worked there. No, just a taller good Samaritan helping out a fellow lover of fabric! Anyway, as our conversation progressed, turned out she was a teacher and presenter and collector of antique and civil war era quilts! I was over the moon! He oldest quilt dating to 1820! She had just finished a presentation and was packing up to go travel home. She had them all folded and on a table but she said to me. "Ashley, I want to shop some. You go right ahead and watch them for me. Take pictures. Touch them, go through them. Enjoy them. Have fun." I just about lost it a second time. Here are some pics I took.