Civil War trunk of Cpt. James P. Smith

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
James Power Smith was born in New Athens, Ohio about 5 miles from my home. Was his family associated with Franklin College in New Athens?
I will look it up. I have his father's original diary that I have translated over a few year span. He was at the seminary at Hampden-Sydney College when the war broke out and fought for the South while his two brothers, Joe and Frank, fought for the North.

Tom Elmore

Sergeant Major
James Power Smith, aide-de-camp with the rank of captain to Lt. Gen. Ewell at Gettysburg, graduated in 1857 from Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, and from 1858-1861 attended Union Theological Seminary, Virginia.

James Power Smith, aide-de-camp with the rank of captain to Lt. Gen. Ewell at Gettysburg, graduated in 1857 from Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, and from 1858-1861 attended Union Theological Seminary, Virginia.
Union Theological Seminary was founded in 1812 as the theological department of Hampden–Sydney College, located near Farmville, Virginia, and housed in Venable Hall.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)