Golden Thread Confederate States of America Cemeteries

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Friends,

I would encourage every American to visit a Confederate States of America cemetery once in their lifetime.

Why?

Because whatever you believe caused the American Civil War......

These soldiers and sailors buried in individual or mass graves are still Americans.

I have had the opportunity to visit a variety of CSA cemeteries in the states of :

* Georgia
* Kentucky
* Louisiana
* Missouri
* South Carolina
* Tennessee
* Virginia

Every visit to a Confederate cemetery has brought a tear to this Marine's eyes.

And every Federal cemetery has done the same......

Semper Fi,
Bill

DSC_0384.JPG

* Resaca, Georgia Confederate Cemetery

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Delhi Rangers

First Sergeant
Friends,

I would encourage every American to visit a Confederate States of America cemetery once in their lifetime.

Why?

Because whatever you believe caused the American Civil War......

These soldiers and sailors buried in individual or mass graves are still Americans.

I have had the opportunity to visit a variety of CSA cemeteries in the states of :

* Georgia
* Louisiana
* Missouri
* South Carolina
* Tennessee
* Virginia

Every visit to a Confederate cemetery has brought a tear to this Marine's eyes.

And every Federal cemetery has done the same......

Semper Fi,
Bill

View attachment 36806

* Resaca, Georgia Confederate Cemetery
Thank you for your post and your kind sentiment. I as you have visited many Confederate Cemeteries such as Resaca,etc. The burial pits at Shiloh are the ones that have always gotten to me. I have spent hours and hours in Confederate Cemeteries in Virginia including Hollywood, The Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery in Lexington and the Stonewall Cemetery in Winchester. I have adopted some Confederate graves in my local area and I make sure that they are cleaned and kept. I place flags on the graves in memory of the soldiers. It a small thing to do to show that you appreciate them for their service. Thanks again for posting. Lest We Forget.

Last edited:
Bill, you are absolutely correct. It is a moving experience for me to stop at any veteran's grave. For some reason, I am especially touched at a confederate veteran grave. Have you been to the Confederate Memorial Historic Site at Higginsville, MO? It includes a very large cemetery of confederate veterans and their wives. Not just Missourians, but veterans from every confederate state. Very interesting, well-kep place.

http://www.visitmo.com/confederate-memorial-state-historic-site.aspx

IMG_0460.JPG

Thank you Mr. Bechmann,

Yes, I have said it before. I had 11 different ancestors serve in that war, from three different states. But all of them had two things in common. 1. They all fought for the Confederacy. 2. They were all born, and they all died Americans. This photograph is of my favorite Confederate Cemetery that I have visited so far. It was so peaceful and serene.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
dsc01454-jpg.jpg

One of my favorite Confederate Cemeteries is the one at Marietta, Ga., because it contains most of the scattered unknowns from Chickamauga and the Atlanta Campaign other than those at Resaca, divided where possible into groups by state like this one of Texas Heroes.

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Expired Image Removed

One of my favorite Confederate Cemeteries is the one at Marietta, Ga., because it contains most of the scattered unknowns from Chickamauga and the Atlanta Campaign other than those at Resaca, divided where possible into groups by state like this one of Texas Heroes.
Wonderful venue, James N.!

DSC_0914.JPG

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Bill, you are absolutely correct. It is a moving experience for me to stop at any veteran's grave. For some reason, I am especially touched at a confederate veteran grave. Have you been to the Confederate Memorial Historic Site at Higginsville, MO? It includes a very large cemetery of confederate veterans and their wives. Not just Missourians, but veterans from every confederate state. Very interesting, well-kep place.

http://www.visitmo.com/confederate-memorial-state-historic-site.aspx
I have not been to this cemetery, Patrick.

On my list....

Thanks for the link!

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
View attachment 36815

Thank you Mr. Bechmann,

Yes, I have said it before. I had 11 different ancestors serve in that war, from three different states. But all of them had two things in common. 1. They all fought for the Confederacy. 2. They were all born, and they all died Americans. This photograph is of my favorite Confederate Cemetery that I have visited so far. It was so peaceful and serene.

BB,

I was drawn to this monument inside of the Resaca Confederate Cemetery........

DSC_0390.JPG

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
The Confederate Cemetery at Carnton for the dead from Franklin is a special place to me. I love walking through there while paying my respects. Maybe someone can post a picture of it.
My own particular view of it taken last May with Carnton House in the background:

dsc01560-jpg.jpg

Yes, I saw that one as well and took several picture of it...What a special lady who deserves to be honored. This had special meaning to me as well because my mother's maiden name was Green and at the time of the civil war, my Greens lived in Georgia. So I took quit a few pictures of this monument and the photograph of her which was on the bill board outside the gate of the cemetery to show my mother.

I was also delighted to see this monument:

IMG_0468.JPG

It stays Company A, 4th Batt'n Georgia...this must be the 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters which I have spent the last two years researching. The 4th Batt'n Ga SS only had three Collins men serve in it through out its existence according the Compiled Service Records. One was an Assistant Surgeon, both of the other two were in Company A and one of them was Augustus W. Collins who was eventually named Ensign of the Battalion. He was the one who concealed the Battle Flag of the 4th Batt'n GA SS at Nashville to prevent it's capture. Today the flag is housed in the Museum of the Confederacy.

So there is really one one person this can be,

Private Henry G. Collins, he was promoted to 2nd Corporal prior to the battle of Riseaca. He last appears on a muster roll dated March and April 1864 as present. So he very well could have perished at Resaca. I wonder if the service record is not wrong and he should really be Henry C. Collins?? I wonder how they were able to identify some of these men? They must have had some personal item on them which allowed them to be identified.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)