Golden Thread Confederate States of America Cemeteries

civilken

1st Lieutenant
I need to come back to a statement I have put on this page. As a young boy I used to attend all the American Legion events one day it court my attention every time the honor God past the reviewing stand they would dep their colors. But the American flag never moved I asked my father why he explained to me the American flag never fly lower than any other flag it's a sign of respect. It's stuck with me for these 60 years so when I see another flag at the same level I wonder do they know what they're doing. I am and always will be proud of our flat. If you need to take this down I apologize.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
maybe it's because I'm old or maybe it's because I'm a northern but in either case I find it offensive to have a Confederate flag and the United States flag flying at the same level. I don't believe in any other country of the world would they fly a enemy's flag next to the heirs.
I remember a very good movie, "Barry Lyndon" from the mid 1970's about a soldier of fortune during the Seven years War. At the end of the movie, despite all the turmoil and evil doing, all the loving and the hating, it ended with a cemetery view and the words, "They are all equal now". How about we leave it at that and let them and their descendants (if they lived long enough to have any) be at peace.

civilken

1st Lieutenant
I remember a very good movie, "Barry Lyndon" from the mid 1970's about a soldier of fortune during the Seven years War. At the end of the movie, despite all the turmoil and evil doing, all the loving and the hating, it ended with a cemetery view and the words, "They are all equal now". How about we leave it at that and let them and their descendants (if they lived long enough to have any) be at peace.
in my remarks there is nothing about the soldiers it has nothing to do with the Confederate soldier it has to do with the flag and the only. I have never felt any ill will towards the Confederate soldiers. Politicians and generals are another story.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
Keachi Confederate Memorial Cemetery,Keachi,Louisiana - 1/20/2018

Pictures of this Confederate Cemetery have been posted elsewhere in CivilWarTalk but not in this Golden Thread. Gonna drop a couple here and post others in one of my own threads.

2018-01-20 08.32.40.jpg

2018-01-20 08.59.27.jpg

Ole Miss

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Beauvoir, the last home of Jefferson Davis, has the Beauvoir Confederate on the back part of the property. It has 771 burials of veterans and their wives and is a very pretty place that was developed after the Confederate Veterans Home, the Jefferson Davis Soldier Home, was established in December of 1903.
If you have not visited Beauvoir, I would highly recommend that you do for your edification.
Regards
David
http://www.visitbeauvoir.org/

dlavin

First Sergeant
Referencing something from page 1, but isn't the cemetery at Carnton in Franklin, the McGavock Cemetery? Or are there two? I ask because I quickly went through there a few weeks ago. And when I say quickly...I mean quickly..

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Appomattox Confederate Cemetery, Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia
DSC05878.JPG

This small cemetery contains the graves of eighteen Confederate and a single Federal soldier killed at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, in one of the final battles fought by Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia.

DSC05880.JPG

Their remains were moved here soon following the war from scattered graves where they had fallen; the small cemetery is now located within the grounds of Appomattox Courthouse National Historical Park and is maintained by the U. S. National Park Service.

DSC05883.JPG

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Appomattox Confederate Cemetery, Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia
View attachment 184176

This small cemetery contains the graves of eighteen Confederate and a single Federal soldier killed at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, in one of the final battles fought by Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia.

View attachment 184178

Their remains were moved here soon following the war from scattered graves where they had fallen; the small cemetery is now located within the grounds of Appomattox Courthouse National Historical Park and is maintained by the U. S. National Park Service.

View attachment 184180
I was very impressed with this NPS tour stop at the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, James!

Bill

Friends,

I would encourage every American to visit a Confederate States of America cemetery once in their lifetime.

Why?

Because whatever you believe caused the American Civil War......

These soldiers and sailors buried in individual or mass graves are still Americans.

I have had the opportunity to visit a variety of CSA cemeteries in the states of :

* Georgia
* Kentucky
* Louisiana
* Missouri
* South Carolina
* Tennessee
* Virginia

Every visit to a Confederate cemetery has brought a tear to this Marine's eyes.

And every Federal cemetery has done the same......

Semper Fi,
Bill

View attachment 36806

* Resaca, Georgia Confederate Cemetery
I have been to Cenfed cemeteries in Ohio (two) and one in Alabama. The Ohio locations were POW camps.

Sbc

First Sergeant
dsc01454-jpg.jpg

One of my favorite Confederate Cemeteries is the one at Marietta, Ga., because it contains most of the scattered unknowns from Chickamauga and the Atlanta Campaign other than those at Resaca, divided where possible into groups by state like this one of Texas Heroes.
My grandparents are resting there

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)