Golden Thread Confederate States of America Cemeteries

View attachment 191293 View attachment 191294 View attachment 191295 While it's not a CSA Cemetery by any means, if you ever visit Arlington National Cemetery, there is a section in the back that contains the graves of 482 Confederates as well as a memorial. I've attached some pics from my latest visit.
Visited Arlington in '16. Great experience. One of the reasons for going was to get an image of this marker for the only member of Hilliard's Legion, of which I am aware, who rests there. Saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown and visited JFK's marker as well. A very moving experience.

Attachments

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Brice's Crossroads Confederate Cemetery, Mississippi
DSC06194.JPG

Following Nathan Bedford Forrest's victory at Brice's Crossroads, the Confederates were left in possession of the field and buried their dead adjacent to the tiny Bethany Church Cemetery near the crossroads. Unfortunately, the wooden grave markers deteriorated over time and exact locations of the graves were lost. The markers seen here were erected in the 1990's and bear the names of soldiers known to have been buried here following the battle, though they do not mark any specific graves.

DSC06195.JPG

DSC06196.JPG

Some older stones like the one above read "Unknown Confederate Soldier" but most like the one below are more specific in nature.

DSC06197.JPG

Below, modern Bethany Church Cemetery has grown over the years and this sign points the way to the section known as the Confederate Cemetery.

DSC06198.JPG

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Confederate Burial Trenches, Shiloh National Military Park, Tennessee
DSC06101.JPG

Although not exactly Confederate Cemeteries, the mass graves of Confederate soldiers killed at Shiloh and interred right after the battle in burial trenches of varying size have their own peculiar fascination and brooding terror. There are five such marked, and during my recent visit to the battlefield I managed to locate and photograph four of them.

DSC06102.JPG

The photo at top and these two above and below are the same trench, located as an "official" battlefield tour stop.

DSC06103.JPG

DSC06104.JPG

This second one pictured above and in two photos below is in the woods near Sherman's Headquarters and Shiloh Church and can be reached by a trail from Rea Springs near the new Mississippi State Monument.

DSC06105.JPG

The Rea Springs Burial Trench is noticeably smaller than the first one pictured.

DSC06107.JPG

DSC06121.JPG

Smaller even is this one, also in the woods and near the Crossroads of the Hamburg-Purdy and Pittsburg-Corinth Roads.

DSC06122.JPG

All the known Confederate trenches are marked by a sign like the one here; however it is believed that as many as another dozen or even more additional trenches exist within the park in now unknown locations.

DSC06127.JPG

This fourth Burial Trench seen here is a fairly large one - according to reports as many as 700 Confederate soldiers, both officers and enlisted men, were stacked like cordwood, layer atop layer, in the largest of these.

DSC06128.JPG

As can be seen in the photo above, originally the Federal dead were also interred in burial trenches; the difference was that they were often buried by members of their own units in trenches containing only members of specific units and therefore much more likely to be identified. These graves were opened and the remains transferred to the National Cemetery in the years immediately following the war, but rumor has it that some were missed and remain to be discovered.

DSC06129.JPG

I need to come back to a statement I have put on this page. As a young boy I used to attend all the American Legion events one day it court my attention every time the honor God past the reviewing stand they would dep their colors. But the American flag never moved I asked my father why he explained to me the American flag never fly lower than any other flag it's a sign of respect. It's stuck with me for these 60 years so when I see another flag at the same level I wonder do they know what they're doing. I am and always will be proud of our flat. If you need to take this down I apologize.
Well - if they were full size regular flags I might agree with you. But these are really just grave markers more than anything else, so I think its OK. For example I would have no problem with flying the US flag on a pole, at the entrance to a Confederate cemetery, with a Confederate flag inside the cemetery. But yes - the US flag should be on a higher level - to maybe indicate the "father" has welcomed the prodigal sons" home.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
While not an entire cemetery, there is a cemetery in my old town, which has a sizable Confederate section. The union soldiers are buried in another part of the cemetery. It is not entirely a Missouri thing it is unusual in the area.
Post some pics of the Confederate burial section and the name of the cemetery.

BlueandGrayl

First Sergeant
To be honest we should hold true to Thedore Roosevelt's words of honoring our nation's dead whether he is blue or gray. We have seen some vociferous attacks by pro-Yankee folk over the Rebels and pro-Rebel folk over the Yankees in newspapers and in CWT can we please just stop all these attacks and listen to Lincoln's mantra of "with malice toward none, with charity for all" even some Confederate generals like PGT Beauregard, John S. Mosby or John Malone and others at least held true to these words.

Last edited:

CCMDCSA

Corporal
Sorry if they have already been mentioned the following two are not exclusively confederate but have substantial portions of the cemeteries dedicated to southern soldiers in Mount Olivet in Frederick and Loudon park in Baltimore Maryland as well as point lookout cemetery and the Washington confederate cemetery which contains many dead from sharpsburg

bdtex

Brigadier General
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Confederate Burial Section,Old Oakwood Cemetery,Montgomery,Alabama on 6/20/18

2018-06-20 16.02.55.jpg

2018-06-20 15.56.38.jpg

2018-06-20 15.56.52.jpg

2018-06-20 15.59.32.jpg

The Confederate burial section starts at the top of a hill. From the top of the hill,you can't see the gravesites at the bottom of the hill. A cemetery road separates the lower third of the Confederate burial section from the upper two-thirds also.

2018-06-20 16.00.43.jpg

2018-06-20 16.13.18.jpg

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Confederate Burial Section,Old Oakwood Cemetery,Montgomery,Alabama on 6/20/18

View attachment 194860

View attachment 194861

View attachment 194862

View attachment 194859

The Confederate burial section starts at the top of a hill. From the top of the hill,you can't see the gravesites at the bottom of the hill. A cemetery road separates the lower third of the Confederate burial section from the upper two-thirds also.

View attachment 194864

View attachment 194863
I am really fond of the Alabama State Historical Markers! Outstanding photos, Bobby.....

Bill

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
* West Grove Cemetery near Monroeville, Ohio. I found this cemetery during my John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail tour last year. This Ohio cemetery is Tour Stop #53 on the heritage trail. Monroeville is very close to the site of the Battle of Salineville (July 26th, 1863). Morgan's "Surrender Site" near West Point, Ohio is only a short drive from Salineville.

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

Well - if they were full size regular flags I might agree with you. But these are really just grave markers more than anything else, so I think its OK. For example I would have no problem with flying the US flag on a pole, at the entrance to a Confederate cemetery, with a Confederate flag inside the cemetery. But yes - the US flag should be on a higher level - to maybe indicate the "father" has welcomed the prodigal sons" home.
Nicely written.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Oakwood Cemetery,Tyler,Texas:

Putting this here at the suggestion of @James N. It's not exclusively a Confederate Cemetery but according to James: "...the monument stands atop a burial mound or mass grave of the mentioned Confederates who died at Tyler in the hospitals or garrisons here because Tyler, though fairly small, was nevertheless East Texas' largest town and a principal hub." I visited there on a cold,clear and windy January 27,2017. Most of my father's side of the family was born and raised in Smith and Cherokee counties in Texas.

2017-01-27 16.32.07.jpg

2017-01-27 16.28.47.jpg

2017-01-27 16.29.57.jpg

2017-01-27 16.30.26.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)