" Disagreeable Girls ", A Harper's Weekly Lament, April, 1865

I have a girlfriend whose son would laugh and laugh every time he got his butt popped!
"Hit me again Mama!" :O o:
Oh, this hoyden needed all she got
:laugh:

It just made me really mad. I remember thinking, "Oh, you'll pay for this."

But again, this illustrates how women really do understand each other better. My father did things the dude way. My mother, on the other hand, could stop me in my tracks with a few simple words and without lifting a finger.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Is it better? I can't tell. You can't go by what we see coming in on social and other media, since it's terrific as a tool for ' mean '. The thing is, 150 years ago ' we ' died for compassion, leaving homes, family and safety to help wounded, round up lost civilians, re-home war's orphans- the immense force for good is there. Keep waiting for us to understand how powerful we are, capable of stirring up good stuff instead of piddling around in nonsense.
I'm still trying to find out. If it's better.
You and others sure do help!

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
I'm still trying to find out. If it's better.
You and others sure do help!

I don't know. It does seem to me, left alone, we'd do just fine. It's noticeable, when trouble raises its frizzled head, there's generally a single spoon, busily stirring. Have a feeling we'd like each other an awful lot, if given permission.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
From what I've seen from the sidelines, it's plain old competitiveness. Guys do it too, but it's interesting that I don't hold them to the same exact standard. Instead I'm extra disappointed when women do it to each other.
Hmmmmm...
From the OP:
uyt.jpeg
Can't help but agree. Disagreeable behavior is expected of the male -- after all, he's only a man! But women are (should be?) capable of being so much better, so it is especially disappointing in them. Yes, that's a bit sexist, I admit -- a small remnant of the old "pedestal" -- but, there it is!

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
Hmmmmm...
From the OP:
Can't help but agree. Disagreeable behavior is expected of the male -- after all, he's only a man! But women are (should be?) capable of being so much better, so it is especially disappointing in them. Yes, that's a bit sexist, I admit -- a small remnant of the old "pedestal" -- but, there it is!

Interesting! And true enough. I'm always more shocked when we girls go to the dark side, I admit. Men behaving ridiculously can be awfully dangerous, positions of power being a handy weapon for those inclined. The thing is, you're right. There's something about a bad tempered man which always tickles me, no idea why- perhaps because it's frequently fed by pomposity? Makes me wish to laugh, which can get you in trouble in a big hurry. Still, the idea anyone must be impressed by this flinging around of testosterone has always seemed so gosh darn absurd. Blame Dad, who called it testosterone poisoning.

Females doing the same thing seems a kind of betrayal. Have a small idea they know it, too.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Sometimes it scare me, as some women have gone to the dark side. We have had some terrible cases of abuse by women and even murder in our area. It seems both men and women ( boys and girls) have developed a violent side. My husband and I blame many of the games and violent movies. They can't help.

Also there is not the belief in God or morality as there seemed to be when I was growing up.

You all may thing I am being harsh. But I care and worry about the kids growing up now.

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
You all may thing I am being harsh. But I care and worry about the kids growing up now

Not harsh at all Donna. I have no idea why females are more prone to this stuff than men. That we are is an abysmal statement of some kind, no idea what. Women seem to spend an inordinate amount of time concentrated on how best to tear each other to shreds. I don't know what makes it just fine to intrude on someone's life that way. Maybe today especially there's a feeling we're free to do and say anything at all, inclusive of vulgar language. That's not freedom though- it's just vulgar, unprincipled, trashy nonsense.

You could have a terrific point- reality TV sure features women behaving extremely poorly to each other. What sterling examples for our female population! Why we don't watch reality TV- well, not quite true. Watching people walk around a house while having drama has never been of interest.

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
Member of the Month
I have always in my mind believed in the more "general" definition of scorn (feel or express contempt or derision for) not just rejection of love, regarding this proverb adapted from a line in the play The Mourning Bride , by William Congreve:
"Hell hath no Fury, like a Woman scorn'd"
I have no use for a woman, or man, who delights in having to chop someone else's head off just to make themselves look taller!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)