Period Great-grandmother's Pecan pie

Image1.jpg

For pie day!

This is the oldest recipe I have, written in my great-grandmother's writing. That makes it post-war but possibly before the turn of the century. Trying to estimate the date, I note the precise measurements, which weren't usual until after the war, but there is still no heat setting on the oven. According to my grandmother, her mother preferred to cook on her old wood stove long after a newer gas stove was put in. Also note that the corn syrup isn't yet "Karo" syrup, since Karo didn't start making syrup until 1915. According to the Karo site, before that it was usual to take your own jug to the grocer and have it refilled.

There are still giant pecan trees on the front lawn of the house my grandmother grew up in. As a child, I was frequently drafted to collect pecans, and the older generation spent many nights sitting around the kitchen table cracking them.

2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar - 1 cup white corn syrup
1 cup pecan meats

Pour into unbaked pie crust and bake in a very slow oven.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
What a treasure to have written by her hand! Sounds scrumptious. Have you baked it?
Oh yes, we have these for holidays. Although I have her pie crust recipe somewhere, I use a store-bought crust, since mine you could hit someone over the head with and hurt somebody. I've used both medium and large eggs and both work, but give a different texture.

I can't remember what I use by way of "slow oven" but I think about 300-325.

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
What a treasure! My granny in SC had a whole file cabinet of fine recipes in her head and never wrote one down or passed it on. Wish I'd been just a little older! You were supposed to watch, you see, and learn the recipes that way.

Pie crusts! I buy them, too. Mine are so tough they could hang out on the old Barbary Coast...

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
I'll join the ranks of the tough pie crust makers! There was a hand-written pie crust recipe taped onto the inside of one of my kitchen cabinets when we moved into the house--the former owner of our house was a 94-year old woman known for her wonderful desserts. I have tried that recipe many times over the years when I feel "the stars are in alignment," so to speak, and have never succeeded in success! Store-bought for me!

Jimklag

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
For pie day!

This is the oldest recipe I have, written in my great-grandmother's writing. That makes it post-war but possibly before the turn of the century. Trying to estimate the date, I note the precise measurements, which weren't usual until after the war, but there is still no heat setting on the oven. According to my grandmother, her mother preferred to cook on her old wood stove long after a newer gas stove was put in. Also note that the corn syrup isn't yet "Karo" syrup, since Karo didn't start making syrup until 1915. According to the Karo site, before that it was usual to take your own jug to the grocer and have it refilled.

There are still giant pecan trees on the front lawn of the house my grandmother grew up in. As a child, I was frequently drafted to collect pecans, and the older generation spent many nights sitting around the kitchen table cracking them.

2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt
1 cup pecan meats

Were the pecans toasted or raw? My mother-in-law always used raw. She had dozens of trees on her property and we used to get big bags of shelled pecans a couple times a year. When we visited her, she was often sitting in her kitchen watching soap operas and shelling pecans.

Oh yes, we have these for holidays. Although I have her pie crust recipe somewhere, I use a store-bought crust, since mine you could hit someone over the head with and hurt somebody. I've used both medium and large eggs and both work, but give a different texture.

I can't remember what I use by way of "slow oven" but I think about 300-325.
A baking oven heated to a temperature between 250° F and 325° F

According to my grandmother, her mother preferred to cook on her old wood stove long after a newer gas stove was put in.
I love pies and bake them often. My mother's mother and older sisters cooked on a coal/wood stove. Their food was delicious. My mother was the youngest of eight children and preferred using modern appliances. I remember her encouraging one of my aunts to buy an electric stove because they were 'cooler to use.' But my aunt said that she had cooked on a coal/wood stove for over fifty years and was used to it.

Mrs. V

First Sergeant
View attachment 196146
For pie day!

2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt
1 cup pecan meats

Yummy! I have not had pecan pie in ages. My mom used to make it. I wonder how I can make it diabetic friendly??

Pecan pie is a favorite of mine .althoigh I only eat it when in the US, at home in Germany we don't have pecan trees.
Walnuts are similar. But a little bit more tart, a walnut pie tastes different.

But something else, folks: I rejoiced when I saw the OP by @Allie, because I missed her a lot recently and only noticed upon second look that this thread was started in January 2015 and @Allie was last seen in November 2017. I hope that she is well. Should anyone correspond with her privately, please give her my best regards!

Karen Lips

1st Lieutenant
View attachment 196146
For pie day!

2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt
1 cup pecan meats

Thanks for sharing! I am going to try this recipe!

Karen Lips

1st Lieutenant
Pecan pie is a favorite of mine .althoigh I only eat it when in the US, at home in Germany we don't have pecan trees.
Walnuts are similar. But a little bit more tart, a walnut pie tastes different.

But something else, folks: I rejoiced when I saw the OP by @Allie, because I missed her a lot recently and only noticed upon second look that this thread was started in January 2015 and @Allie was last seen in November 2017. I hope that she is well. Should anyone correspond with her privately, please give her my best regards!
Can you find imported pecans in Germany?