1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Period Great-grandmother's Pecan pie

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by Allie, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Allie

Allie Captain

Image1.jpg
    For pie day!

This is the oldest recipe I have, written in my great-grandmother's writing. That makes it post-war but possibly before the turn of the century. Trying to estimate the date, I note the precise measurements, which weren't usual until after the war, but there is still no heat setting on the oven. According to my grandmother, her mother preferred to cook on her old wood stove long after a newer gas stove was put in. Also note that the corn syrup isn't yet "Karo" syrup, since Karo didn't start making syrup until 1915. According to the Karo site, before that it was usual to take your own jug to the grocer and have it refilled.

There are still giant pecan trees on the front lawn of the house my grandmother grew up in. As a child, I was frequently drafted to collect pecans, and the older generation spent many nights sitting around the kitchen table cracking them.

2 eggs
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    Pinch of salt
    1/2 cup sugar - 1 cup white corn syrup
    1 cup pecan meats

Pour into unbaked pie crust and bake in a very slow oven.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

What a treasure to have written by her hand! Sounds scrumptious. Have you baked it?

4. Allie

Allie Captain

Oh yes, we have these for holidays. Although I have her pie crust recipe somewhere, I use a store-bought crust, since mine you could hit someone over the head with and hurt somebody. I've used both medium and large eggs and both work, but give a different texture.

I can't remember what I use by way of "slow oven" but I think about 300-325.

5. 18thVirginia

18thVirginia Major Forum Host

Glad I'm not the only one who can't make a pie crust. Gumbo for 50, barbecue for 75, just tell me when.

Pie crust--oh no!

6. diane

diane Brev. Brig. Gen'l

What a treasure! My granny in SC had a whole file cabinet of fine recipes in her head and never wrote one down or passed it on. Wish I'd been just a little older! You were supposed to watch, you see, and learn the recipes that way.

Pie crusts! I buy them, too. Mine are so tough they could hang out on the old Barbary Coast...

7. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

This is a real treasure. I have a few written recipes by my grandmother and my great aunt.

Thanks for sharing with us.

8. pamc153PA

pamc153PA Major Forum Host

I'll join the ranks of the tough pie crust makers! There was a hand-written pie crust recipe taped onto the inside of one of my kitchen cabinets when we moved into the house--the former owner of our house was a 94-year old woman known for her wonderful desserts. I have tried that recipe many times over the years when I feel "the stars are in alignment," so to speak, and have never succeeded in success! Store-bought for me!

9. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry 2nd Lieutenant Silver Patron

Bumping this great period pecan pie recipe! What a treasure @Allie!

donna likes this.
  10. Jimklag

Jimklag Major Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Were the pecans toasted or raw? My mother-in-law always used raw. She had dozens of trees on her property and we used to get big bags of shelled pecans a couple times a year. When we visited her, she was often sitting in her kitchen watching soap operas and shelling pecans.

11. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Bumping for pecan pie day.

captaindrew likes this.
  12. alan polk

alan polk Sergeant Major

Thanks for bumping, looks delicious.

By the way, has anyone heard from Allie? I always enjoyed her posts. Hope all is well with her.....

13. Belle Montgomery

Belle Montgomery First Sergeant

A baking oven heated to a temperature between 250° F and 325° F

14. AnnaLee

AnnaLee Sergeant

I love pies and bake them often. My mother's mother and older sisters cooked on a coal/wood stove. Their food was delicious. My mother was the youngest of eight children and preferred using modern appliances. I remember her encouraging one of my aunts to buy an electric stove because they were 'cooler to use.' But my aunt said that she had cooked on a coal/wood stove for over fifty years and was used to it.

donna likes this.
  15. Mrs. V

Mrs. V Sergeant

Yummy! I have not had pecan pie in ages. My mom used to make it. I wonder how I can make it diabetic friendly??

16. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Captain Trivia Game Winner

Looks yummy

17. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Major Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Pecan pie is a favorite of mine .althoigh I only eat it when in the US, at home in Germany we don't have pecan trees.
    Walnuts are similar. But a little bit more tart, a walnut pie tastes different.

But something else, folks: I rejoiced when I saw the OP by @Allie, because I missed her a lot recently and only noticed upon second look that this thread was started in January 2015 and @Allie was last seen in November 2017. I hope that she is well. Should anyone correspond with her privately, please give her my best regards!

18. Karen Lips

Karen Lips 1st Lieutenant

Thanks for sharing! I am going to try this recipe!

19. Karen Lips

Karen Lips 1st Lieutenant

Can you find imported pecans in Germany?

FarawayFriend likes this.
  20. mofederal

mofederal Captain

I love Pecan Pie. I should not much of it, but it is very hard to pass on. I try only to eat a little of it. thanks for the great recipe @Allie.

21. Legion Para

Legion Para Captain Retired Moderator

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)