Help identifying this shell frag

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I'd guess it's a piece of a mortar round. From the size I'd say either a 10" or 13" (with some careful measurement you could determine the diameter from the piece you have but I don't know the math off the top of my head). I suppose it's also possible it could be a piece of a shell from a large garrison or coastal gun but from the thickness of the wall I'm going with a mortar.

Do you know where it was collected ? That might help.

I'd guess it's a piece of a mortar round. From the size I'd say either a 10" or 13" (with some careful measurement you could determine the diameter from the piece you have but I don't know the math off the top of my head). I suppose it's also possible it could be a piece of a shell from a large garrison or coastal gun but from the thickness of the wall I'm going with a mortar.

Do you know where it was collected ? That might help.
Sorry I'm unaware of the location.

Well from all the info I found so far it seems to be a 13" mortar ball Fragment. Were during the war would they have fired such a Mortar?
They were used on boats and flatbeds on rivers, in forts, and were brought up for siege duty (i.e. Petersburg). They were too heavy for general field use. Mortars were used to lob shells up and over fortifications and into entrenchments (the ones on the rivers were used to bombard forts along the rivers).

They were used on boats and flatbeds on rivers, in forts, and were brought up for siege duty (i.e. Petersburg). They were too heavy for general field use. Mortars were used to lob shells up and over fortifications and into entrenchments (the ones on the rivers were used to bombard forts along the rivers).
Thank you for the info.