Kirby Smith Appointees

I'm making a list of colonels who were given the title of "general" by Gen. Kirby Smith. Have come up with Buchel, DeBray, King and Randal. These were appointed general without Richmonds approval. Anyone out there have any more?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

James N.

Major
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I'm making a list of colonels who were given the title of "general" by Gen. Kirby Smith. Have come up with Buchel, DeBray, King and Randal. These were appointed general without Richmonds approval. Anyone out there have any more?
One of them even has his own Texas Civil War Centennial (1960's) monument near me:

Last edited:
Sorry something went wrong. I had tried (and failed) to send a picture of the Buchel monument. Not sure where it really is. It states Goliad, but there is no such monument in Goliad. There is one in Cuero though. Let's see if I can get a picture of it.

It is Wikipedia so there's bound to be an error or 2. If you can support with evidence, the Wikipedia pages can be edited. So you can add Buchel in. I think I remember seeing somewhere that Smith appointed him as well.

As I´ve said before I´m not sure who promoted Buchel; if it was Kirby Smith or somebody else or if it was militia or whatever. So without more details or some primary source he`s difficult to be put in there.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)