Kirby Smith Appointees

I'm making a list of colonels who were given the title of "general" by Gen. Kirby Smith. Have come up with Buchel, DeBray, King and Randal. These were appointed general without Richmonds approval. Anyone out there have any more?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I'm making a list of colonels who were given the title of "general" by Gen. Kirby Smith. Have come up with Buchel, DeBray, King and Randal. These were appointed general without Richmonds approval. Anyone out there have any more?
One of them even has his own Texas Civil War Centennial (1960's) monument near me:

monuments-001a-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry something went wrong. I had tried (and failed) to send a picture of the Buchel monument. Not sure where it really is. It states Goliad, but there is no such monument in Goliad. There is one in Cuero though. Let's see if I can get a picture of it.

It is Wikipedia so there's bound to be an error or 2. If you can support with evidence, the Wikipedia pages can be edited. So you can add Buchel in. I think I remember seeing somewhere that Smith appointed him as well.

He should've appointed his mother Francis Kirby Smith too for all of her successful spying! The 80 year old Connecticut native was so successful they threw her out of St. Augustine! :rofl:

I also have a book "Confederate Colonels: A Biographical Register" which gives capsule bios of ALL 1,583 full colonels in the CSA. In all immodesty, this is and should be the "go to" book on any Confederate colonel.

Thanks I may have run across that book some time ago. How long has it been out? I'm thinking if I did I mistook it for Ezra Warners work. I'll see if our local library can get either copy for me.I find CSA colonels ( especially those from Texas) to be a fascinating subject.

I came across Col. August Buchel while doing a little research on the 3rd Texas Infantry. He was the Lt. Colonel of this regiment under Phillip Luckett.I have found two men listed as Majors for that unit, a Edward Gray snd John Kampman. I'm guessing they were both majors but at differant times.