Louisiana Gumbo

Cool weather is almost here, and to me that means Gumbo! Though my fav has always been Chicken and Sausage the most popular is chocked full of seafood, but there are many, many combinations of meats and veggies one can use. The roux is the base and the key for a good Gumbo, and I'm pretty particular about mine. For me it has to be medium to dark brown and relatively thick to give the proper flavor. I prefer file' (ground sassafras leaves) as the thickener over okra. Too thin and you might as well be eating soup.

chicken-gumbo-sl-701065-l.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

dlofting

First Sergeant
The recipe I use calls for shrimp and crab (which means expensive in Vancouver).....I`ve always used okra, which we can buy in Vancouver because the Asian food stores carry it, but I`m going to try a bit of file` powder next time to see how it turns out.

I love me some gumbo. I like the crawfish, but I could be persuaded to down a bowl or two of the chicken & sausage.
We stop at Ralph and Kacoo's every time through Shreveport. I think that location does a good job. Occasionally we'll stop at Fertitta's for muffalettas. Just as good as New Orleans.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
We stop at Ralph and Kacoo's every time through Shreveport. I think that location does a good job. Occasionally we'll stop at Fertitta's for muffalettas. Just as good as New Orleans.
Ralph and Kacoo's was one of my favorites. There's another one on E. 70th Street called Gerald Savoie's that I thought was even better.

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I'm looking for that broccoli/cheese cornbread recipe! :hungry: I don't have gumbo but I do have a respectable pot of beans it will go with. Never made gumbo - must do so!

Lazy Bayou

1st Lieutenant
Cool weather is almost here, and to me that means Gumbo! Though my fav has always been Chicken and Sausage the most popular is chocked full of seafood, but there are many, many combinations of meats and veggies one can use. The roux is the base and the key for a good Gumbo, and I'm pretty particular about mine. For me it has to be medium to dark brown and relatively thick to give the proper flavor. I prefer file' (ground sassafras leaves) as the thickener over okra. Too thin and you might as well be eating soup.

View attachment 21016
Where I grew up in south Louisiana the first things asked when a guy brought a new girlfriend home to meet "momma" was "are you Catholic, what's your mama's maiden name and can you make a roux?"

Lazy Bayou

1st Lieutenant
Ralph and Kacoo's was one of my favorites. There's another one on E. 70th Street called Gerald Savoie's that I thought was even better.

Ralph and Kacoo's is a great place to eat. It's as close to good Cajun cookin' as you'll find north of Interstate 10. Anyone livin' north of I-10 in Louisiana is considered a yankee.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Ralph and Kacoo's is a great place to eat. It's as close to good Cajun cookin' as you'll find north of Interstate 10. Anyone livin' north of I-10 in Louisiana is considered a yankee.
Being a midwesterner and enamored of roast beef, meat loaf, and pork chops, I find the idea of gumbo intriguing.

1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup diced onions
2 quarts chicken broth
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (you can increase this amount if you prefer it spicier)
1 cup diced canned tomatoes
12 ounces frozen cut okra (can also substitute with fresh okra)
2-3 cooked chicken breasts, diced (or cooked steak, cubed; or shrimp*)
2-3 cups pre-cooked Andouille sausage, sliced
2 cups cooked white rice (cook according to package directions)
parsley (optional)

Lazy Bayou

1st Lieutenant
Being a midwesterner and enamored of roast beef, meat loaf, and pork chops, I find the idea of gumbo intriguing.
Some of the best gumbo can be found at the hunting and fishing camps in the swamp. There's always a big pot on the stove and if anyone driving in finds a road kill armadillo, possum, coon, nutria, squirrel, etc.. it goes in the pot. Quiet an intriguing aroma and taste that I'm sure you would enjoy.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)