Mud Creek Line possible encroachment

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
I am posting this because a friend of mine William Lathem I met at the Atlanta History Center mentioned this. It seems a development will encroach near or around the mud creek line. There was an artillery emplacement there acoording to what William found. The Zoning Meeting will be May 3rd but so is the Cassville Historical Society Meeting. i will be in Cassvile but I hope William has some success at the zoning meeting. If anyone is in the area maybe you could drop by and offer some support.

Z-98'15 COLUMBIA PROPERTIES CAPITAL, LLC (Herbert A. Collins, as Trustee of the Herbert A. Collins Revocable Living Trust, owner) requesting Rezoning from R-20 to RSL and NRC for the purpose of Residential Senior Living (non-supportive) and Retail Shopping Center in Land Lots 330 and 331 of the 20th District. Located at the northwest intersection of Dallas Highway and Garrison Commons (2720, 2780 and 2782 Dallas Highway). (Continued by Staff from the December 1, 2015, February 2, 2016, March 1, 2016 and April 1, 2016
Hearing on said petitions will be heard by the Cobb County Planning Commission at 9:00 a.m. on the prescribed hearing date. The public hearing will be held in the Second Floor Commissioners' Meeting Room, Cobb County Building, 100 Cherokee Street, Marietta, Georgia, 30090

mudcreek.png

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Chattahooch33

Sergeant Major
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
As usual there is no care to protect anything until it is too late. I have been driving by that area for 20 years and from 1864 through about 2006 there was nothing there and probably nothing prohibiting saving the land. The only care given to it is a historical marker placed in the 60's. I have wanted to explore the area since reading about it in Company Aytch and seeing William Scaife's maps.

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
If you wanted to email the Cobb County Commissioners about the property

bob.weatherford@cobbcounty.org, bob.ott@cobbcounty.org, joann.birrell@cobbcounty.org, lisa.cupid@cobbcounty.org, tlee@cobbcounty.org, dhankerson@cobbcounty.org

The zoning is listed as Property Columbia Properties Capital, LLC. PETITION NO: Z-98

The tactical defeat on the 15th evolved into a strategic advantage for Sherman two days later. Learning that Confederate cavalry had abandoned their trenches toward Lost Mountain, leaving his flank exposed to enfilading artillery fire from the Army of the Ohio, Hardee withdrew several miles to the east bank of Mud Creek the night of June 16. Here he anchored his right on a steep hill (now called French’s) tying to the left of French’s division of Polk’s corps (now commanded by Loring), forming here a pivot or salient. Hardee’s left would simultaneously swing south two miles to a position along the east bank of Mud Creek to a point just beyond the Dallas/Marietta road. Thus Hardee substantially reduced the length of his front and better protected his flanks. This new alignment of fortifications became known as the “Mud Creek Line.”
http://www.civilwar.org/battlefield...ntain-history-articles/cobbcountysecrist.html

Last night, within minutes of sending the May 2016 Georgia Battlefields newsletter (a revised version of which is attached), I received via e-mail the archaeolo...gy report for Cobb County rezoning application Z-98. The report was dated 18 April, but it was appended to a revised rezoning application dated 27 April and was not available until 28 April.

The archaeology report has six pages of text, ten pages of maps, and six pages of photos, but I will try to fairly summarize and succinctly rebut two report conclusions that are most relevant to the preservation discussion.

First, maps of the Mud Creek Line are sometimes contradictory, with some showing the line passing through the subject property and others showing it passing to the east. We agree that it is sometimes difficult to reconcile period maps with modern maps, especially since creek beds and road courses change over time. Still, I looked at the 1992 US Geological Survey terrain map, which predates the relocation of Garrison Commons (road) and construction of the shopping center to the east of the Z-98 property. The maximum height of the property to the east (before grading for the shopping center) was slightly over 1060 feet. The maximum height of the Z-98 property is over 1080 feet. So, if the Mud Creek Line ran through the property to the east, it will be the only example I know of the Confederates constructing a defense line that has higher ground immediately to its front.

Second, the earth disturbances on the Z-98 property could be the result of previous agricultural use. We agree that the earth disturbances on the property are not nearly as well-defined as are other nearby sections of the Mud Creek Line. Still, if the line did pass through the Z-98 property (as we believe it did), the earth disturbances are consistent with where a competent military engineer--or even a common soldier by this point in the war--would put them.

Finally, some of our members who previously sent snail mail to the planning and county commissioners at the Powder Springs Street address report that the mail was returned. With the planning commission meeting scheduled for 3 May, snail mail will probably not arrive in time; so please e-mail them if you do want to express an opinion. If you wish to snail mail the county commissioners before their meeting scheduled for 17 May, please use this address:

Commissioner (name)
100 Cherokee St
Marietta GA 30090-9679.

Thanks for supporting preservation.
Charlie Crawford, President
Georgia Battlefields Association

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
Collins property Zoning Case is Z-4. See pages 13-16 of zoning analysis
document at this link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1giHxivWSsIKHTH39aL36dMGWRf-f1ila

From the plan, the construction is in the southeast corner of the property
and avoids the trench remnant. Structure is a single building assisted
living facility in the area where the commercial structure was proposed
previously.

Charlie Crawford
Georgia Battlefields Association

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)