My work at Fort Derussy

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

bdtex

Brigadier General
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
Thank u but I just enjoy doing it and just being there. I talk with the soldiers too lol they haven’t answered any of my questions yet
I'd talk to them too if I was there.

jude

Private
I had heard about the grass being planted, (can't remember the exact name of that Asian breed I was told and read of), but I've seen where its been touted as good to combat erosion, but from my experience working with that stuff, I would say it has the opposite effect. I don't know where it was originally said it was good to combat erosion, I just haven't seen it the times I worked with it years ago.

Plus I can see where the State is coming from, some foreign plants can be invasive and hurt native plants.

EDIT: Just remembered the grass breed, Asian Jasmine, that's what I heard had been planted at Fort Derussy. And my experience was with my dad planting the stuff on hillsides and other sites after he demoed a building, and me seeing hillsides planted with it 5 years later and it was heavily eroded. Hence my dislike for that plant, as I've seen it often touted to combat erosion when I've seen different. Wasn't trying to be critical, Jude's work is beyond commendable.
Yes I understand the
I had heard about the grass being planted, (can't remember the exact name of that Asian breed I was told and read of), but I've seen where its been touted as good to combat erosion, but from my experience working with that stuff, I would say it has the opposite effect. I don't know where it was originally said it was good to combat erosion, I just haven't seen it the times I worked with it years ago.

Plus I can see where the State is coming from, some foreign plants can be invasive and hurt native plants.

EDIT: Just remembered the grass breed, Asian Jasmine, that's what I heard had been planted at Fort Derussy. And my experience was with my dad planting the stuff on hillsides and other sites after he demoed a building, and me seeing hillsides planted with it 5 years later and it was heavily eroded. Hence my dislike for that plant, as I've seen it often touted to combat erosion when I've seen different. Wasn't trying to be critical, Jude's work is beyond commendable.
Yes we were also trying to put that bc it wouldn’t get tall and we wouldnt have to worry about doing much to the breastworks. I would like to cut more trees off the breastworks but don’t want to bc the roots are helping to strengthen them

jude

Private
Yeah I got a couple of folks interested in seeing the blueprints, which I really need to get back to them lol, but makes me wonder if I stumbled on something a lot of folks missed lol. Its in the University of North Carolina in their archives, (Gilmer Papers if I remember right), maybe I'll share the link or the image when I type up the thread this afternoon.

I've wanted to get down there and see the Fort, but circumstances tend to rise, and plans go out the window. But good work cleaning the place up, from what I hear it needs it more often, but me I'd like to get the funds and equipment out there and see it rebuilt than see it left to the sands of time. Lord knows it's history and condition would merit such an effort, if only the traveling public could be induced to come see it afterwards. Its such an unheard of battle that had importance in its own right.
I found those maps. I’ve seen them before