Nash Farm Battlefield museum closing

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
Public Statement from the Board of Friends of Nash Farm Battlefield, Inc.
May 23, 2017
The Board of the Friends of Nash Farm Battlefield, Inc. is sad to announce that the museum, located on Nash Farm Battlefield, which was funded and maintained by our group, will close effective June 1, 2017. The main reason is that the current District 2 Commissioner, Dee Clemons, has requested that ALL Confederate flags be removed from the museum, in addition to the gift shop, in an effort not to offend anyone. For anyone who studies the American Civil War, or War Between the States, they realize there were two parties that fought in this war. We have always prided ourselves with being an unbiased museum that told the entire story of the battles that took place on this property, as well as being a voice of the people in Henry County and Georgia during this time. These stories were told mainly through primary sources, sometimes secondary, but never tertiary sources. To exclude any Confederate flag would mean the historical value has been taken from our exhibits, and a fair interpretation could not be presented to each guest. Confederate flags were on this hallowed ground, as were the Union flags. To remove either of them would be a dishonor.
Additionally, Commissioner Clemons stated that this property, which the county spent in excess of $8 million dollars, has no historical significance per the current board. Interestingly, the Department of Interior has recognized this property as core battlefield and there is a primary source where a request is made that the government pay retribution for the damage to the property during the battle. This is clear proof of the historical basis of this property; yet, more could be provided if necessary. This property has the blood of Union and Confederate soldiers in the soil and needs to be preserved as the battlefield that it is.
The Board of the Friends of Nash Farm Battlefield, Inc. complied when Commissioner Clemmons requested, soon after her taking office, that the entrenchments be removed from the property. When she had the Second National Confederate Flag removed from the flag pole where it has been flying since Henry County purchased the property, again we complied and did not create a disturbance in hopes that the museum would be left alone. The final order from Commissioner Clemmons is one that we cannot and will not comply with. We were told that we are at the “pleasure of the (Henry County) Commission”. Her directive is something we cannot comply with in good consciences.
To date, the museum, in its seven years of operation, has seen visitors from all 50 states and 15 foreign countries. Heritage tourism dollars have added money to the tax base in Henry and Clayton Counties, helping to fund many projects, including roads and schools. Prior to the recession, it was not uncommon to see over 2,000 students in a year; however, the yearly school day now has just shy of 500 students who visit not only the museum, but many different hands on stations to help to engage every student. Never have we had a teacher or student complain about the variety of flags or uniforms being presented in these educational settings. In fact, most teachers applaud our efforts to help them in the classroom.
The Friends of Nash Farm Battlefield, Inc. has not only been active on an educational aspect, but has helped Henry County in many ways to manage this beautiful battlefield. We have worked with the Boy Scouts, Eagles Scouts, the Audubon Society, Master Gardeners, Civil War Trust, and other community groups. Our volunteers have put up split rail fencing, painted, cleared barbed wire, mowed, graded roads, picked up debris, fixed many “broken” things around the property, and so much more. Our mission was to assist Henry County, not only with the historical aspect of the property, but to make this a property the entire community could be proud of. To be honest, majority of the people in District 2 are proud of Nash Farm Battlefield.
There will be many who will think the Friends of Nash Farm Battlefield, Inc. should have stood up to this censorship. Currently, the museum operates out of the old Nash farmhouse, which is owned by Henry County, and all utilities are paid by the county. The relics that were displayed, with the exception of a small amount that Henry County owns, were on loan to our group. When our key volunteer and donor made the decision to pull his relics, the Board had no other decision than to close the museum. We could have kept the doors open sporadically and showed beautiful display cases that were empty. When you engage in a conflict, your goal is to gain ground. The Board felt the only decision we had was to close the museum. This has not been an easy decision as many of our volunteers have donated much time, money, sweat, and tears to this property. The Friends of Nash Farm Battlefield was created after the Steering Committee was dissolved by the Henry County Board of Commissioners over 10 years ago. That is over a decade of work that some of our volunteers have contributed to this property.
As a Board, we ask that you contact not only Commissioner Clemmons, but also all the other Henry County Board of Commissioners, to let them know how you feel about the current political climate that affected the closing of Nash Farm Battlefield Museum. It is important that you voice your opinion to these politicians so they know there is public support for the historical aspect of this property.
Thank you to all the groups and individuals who have supported Friends of Nash Farm Battlefield, Inc. over the years. Our volunteers have been honored to work to preserve history and work diligently to improve the community. We can only hope that this property and its history will be sustained for future generations.
Respectfully Submitted by the Board of Friends of Nash Farm Battlefield, Inc.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I'd like to see confirmation of this. The museum'website was last updated as near as I can determine 6 months ago. There are no CBFs in the pictures on the website and the only confirmation I am able to find is a Facebook post.
I see no information that gives Commissioner, Dee Clemons control over the museum.

Last edited:
How often have we heard that Confederate flags or monuments "belong in museums" where we can learn from them in historical context rather than in places of honor? It's been said a lot in the past few years.

So putting them in a museum ends the problem, right? Apparently not.

http://www.henryherald.com/news/nas...cle_3a80ebfb-c5e6-55e3-9079-3abcd22dbfa9.html

Nash Farm Battlefield and Museum announced on Tuesday plans to close the museum, apparently after Henry County District 2 Commissioner Dee Clemmons requested that they remove their Confederate flags and paraphernalia.

The museum property, owned by Henry County, houses a large artifact collection, period clothing exhibits, and history of the Nash Farm and family from the Civil War era battles that were fought on the site.

“We have always prided ourselves with being an unbiased museum that told the entire story of the battles that took place on this property, as well as being a voice of the people in Henry County and Georgia during this time,” stated the Board of the Friends of Nash Farm Battlefield Inc. on the Nash Farm Battlefield Facebook page. “These stories were told mainly through primary sources, sometimes secondary, but never tertiary sources. To exclude any Confederate flag would mean the historical value has been taken from our exhibits, and a fair interpretation could not be presented to each guest. Confederate flags were on this hallowed ground, as were the Union flags. To remove either of them would be a dishonor.”

Many of the historical items that were displayed were on loan to the group and the board states a key volunteer and donor made a decision to pull his relics, prompting the board to close the museum.

Clemmons stands behind her decision.

“I will not apologize for asking that the CONFEDERATE FLAG be removed FROM A COUNTY OWNED PARK and given back to the private owner as it was not a flag owned by Henry County,” stated Clemmons on her Facebook page. “This has caused me to receive hundreds of nasty emails and Facebook posts. Over the years, the Confederate battle flag has come to mean different things to different people. To me and many other United States Citizens it is emblematic of slavery, racism and the bloody battles that made the Civil War the deadliest conflict in U.S. history. WE CAN NOT ERASE HISTORY BUT WE DONT’T HAVE TO RE-Live it.”

So.... flags put in a museum, but it's still not good enough. When you go into a museum, and theoretically expect to see items from history, finding a Confederate flag there is still "reliving history" and is unacceptable.

CheathamHill

First Sergeant
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Atlanta gonna Atlanta. Not surprising at all. The city and its outskirts have been trying to deny that the civil war happened since dam* near 1865. To these revisionist, ***edit by Lnwlf: derogutory*** history starts in the 20th century.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chattahooch33

Sergeant Major
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Atlanta gonna Atlanta. Not surprising at all. The city and its outskirts have been trying to deny that the civil war happened since dam* near 1865. To these revisionist snowflakes, history starts in the 20th century.
I know that there are a few ***edit by Lnwlf*** on here that will be defending this with their infinite knowledge pretty soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
From this report that I just found this appears to be a misunderstanding and an over reaction on the part of the museum officials or possibly something else as yet unknown.

Commissioner Dee Clemmons "requested" removal of a Confederate flag from a pole mounted outside the Nash Farm Battlefield Museum, said county spokeswoman Melissa Robinson.

Tim Knight of the nonprofit that runs the museum said Clemmons "demanded" the removal. He said museum officials assumed she spoke with the authority of the county government. However, Robinson said Clemmons' request was personal and not official.

The site of the August 1864 battle is now a county park. The museum is on county property. A nonprofit opened the museum in a historic building about five years ago.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/confederate-flag-removed-then-civil-war-museum-closes/442668563
My question is, why would the museum officials "assume" that the request/demand of one county commissioner is the final word on the matter, when it would take a majority vote of the 5 commissioners for anything to be deemed official? Are they so naive in the ways of govt' to be intimidated like this? Something does not sound right here, and I suggest there is more going on here than has been casually assumed.

This is precisely the type of thing I predicted some time ago for which I was then called insane by one member and bullied by several others. So here we are: things Confederate can't even be displayed in a museum. It's just absurd.

I bet those who called you insane also assured you it would not happen. I am also almost willing to bet "they" have not yet posted on this post and if so, I am sure they have a defense for it.

They wonder why we stand up and speak out. SMH

Respectfully,
William
1st National Flag.JPG

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)