Our African American Nurses

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
Bumping this great thread by @JPK Huson 1863 for Black History Month!

Thank you! We had a LOT of black nurses, too- had no clue at the time this thread was created. Must add the nurse who walked away from her enslavement straight to hospitals. Died serving others, another nurse lost to typhoid.

And it had to have been hard- just because these were Union hospitals doesn't mean they didn't suffer at the hands of racists, bigots and plain old mean people. Found a Sanitary Commission report, for Heaven's sake, complaining about black nurses, racist buzz words all the heck all over it. They did it anyway.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
Hope we can add to it. OH hang on. You know how relief organizations issued regular reports? ' Sanitary Commission Report 1863 ', etc. Find them on Hathitrust- there were some extensive relief organizations run by the black community, Keckley wrote of them. May find more nurses in those books.

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
Thank you for bumping this. This one, and many others are years before I came, and the personal direction applied permits an advantage for my studies. Otherwise I would never know. I am sure others would agree.
Lubliner.

Right? Found a huge amount of things, important to History, never heard of before since joining here. Still do, nearly daily.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)