Saint Mary’s celebrates rich history of nursing

USS ALASKA

2nd Lieutenant
Saint Mary’s celebrates rich history of nursing, looks to the future
Gina Twardosz
Monday, February 4, 2019

During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln gave tribute to the nuns of the battlefield, Saint Mary’s very own Sisters of the Holy Cross.

“More lovely than anything I have ever seen in art, so long devoted to the illustration of love, mercy and charity, are the picture that remain of those modest sisters going on their errands of mercy among the suffering and dying,” Lincoln said of the nuns.

Since the beginning of the Civil War in 1861, only eighteen years after having established themselves in the United States, the Sisters have answered a call to serve as nurses, and since then, Saint Mary’s has sought to further this legacy through the education of nursing and become an innovative leader in the field of nursing.

Full article can be found here - https://ndsmcobserver.com/2019/02/s...-rich-history-of-nursing-looks-to-the-future/

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
So sorry to have missed this thread earlier- and am amazed to find the article because it's really hard finding information on Sisters and their contributions! Thanks for posting it!

" During these walks, Grady said she discusses a lot of things with the future nurses of the world. Mostly, she recalls the legacy of the Sisters, from Sister Veronica Regina Scholl, who, while aboard a mail boat, had a shot pass through her veil, to Mother Angela Eliza Gillespie, who, while ardently operating on a soldier who was near death, failed even to notice the blood that was dripping on her head from above — blood from an unknown soldier "

From the article- this is the stuff they never allowed themselves to speak of, I guess except between themselves. I've been trying to track down how many Sisters from just one order were lost during the war, much less all of them. It's wonderful to see their work recognized, hope it's the kind of recognition that will open a gate.