1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

The Mashburn family reunion

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Glorybound, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Glorybound

Glorybound Major Retired Moderator

Mashburns continue reunion tradition Saturday

JESSICA McCARTHY / News Herald Writer
    2012-05-24 20:04:08

[​IMG]
    PANAMA CITY — The Mashburn family reunion, which will be Saturday, is said to be the oldest continuous family reunion in the state and Jack Mashburn said Congress has said it holds the title for the country, as well.

Jack Mashburn is known as the dean of the clan because at 84, he is the oldest male in attendance at the reunions and he’s known for his family history passion. He said his passion came from his father as part of the passing of the family history from male to male through the generations.

“Without family, you’re lost,” Mashburn said. “We’re created by God to protect, love and do for each other. There’s no greater unity than family.”

His cousin Patty Meredith said her interest came from her father, as well.

“My father took such an interest in it and passed it onto us,” Meredith said. “My sister, Sandra Tuten, is one of our officers and puts so much energy into making this a success. It’s just because once you’ve gotten something with this kind of longevity, you hate to see it fold. That’s another thing that makes you want to continue.”

She also said keeping the younger generations interested starts with fun.

“My feeling is that you have something entertaining for the younger ones so they will want to come back,” Meredith said. “You need entertainment in addition to food and fellowship.”

Mashburn said once the memories of fun are a part of the children’s history, they keep coming back and start learning the history and responsibility of family. He also said not enough importance is placed on history anymore and this is one way to keep the stories alive.

“People don’t pay much attention to history these days — not as much as they should,” Mashburn said. “The elders take time with the young ones and pass on the stories.”

The Mashburn family reunions began in 1866 when Richard Byrd Mashburn, a former Confederate soldier, came home after walking several hundred miles to Econfina from Rock Island, Ill., after he was released by Union soldiers. With no money and no transportation, it took him a year to get home and the family began celebrations both for his safe return and the end of the war.

Mashburn said they continue the celebrations in honor of family and those who have served their country honorably.

“It was binding this nation back together,” Mashburn said. “That was the primary thing. If you bind the family, it gives others inspiration, as well, and it helps bind the nation back together to heal the wounds.”

That was especially important for the Mashburns because Richard Mashburn served in the Confederacy but his brother Stephen served the Union because he did not believe in slavery.

Meredith said with the importance placed on electronic connections, she believes opportunities like this are especially important.

“We’re [our family] tied together in a great way,” Meredith said. “Sometimes I wonder if people rely on their social networks electronically and they need more face-to-face things. Nothing takes the place of seeing someone’s expressions and laughing with them in person. Those are such important things.”

The reunion is Saturday at the Mashburn Memorial Park on the Econfina Creek, on part of the original Mashburn homestead.

[​IMG]

The meaning of the Mashburn family flag
    -Gold represents the nature of the Mashburn family word. If they borrowed anything, it was always returned on time.

-White represents the purity of the country when the Mashburns established the original homestead. Jack said Native Americans had not desecrated it; they lived with the land, not on it.

-Green represents the farming history. Wild game and fish would not sustain them, so planting was added to the family agenda.

-The two soldiers and flags represent Stephen and Richard Mashburn, brothers who fought on opposite sides of the Civil War.

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/tradition-102956-continue-mashburns.html

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Another great post.

jessgettysburg1863 likes this.
  4. Robtweb1

Robtweb1 2nd Lieutenant Retired Moderator Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

There were Mashburns in my family by marriage during the WBTS period. I'll have to check this out.

5. Glorybound

Portion of letter to the editor concerning post 1 above:

"Of particular interest in that article was the part where the War Between the States pitted brother against brother because one brother did not believe in slavery. It was a sad event that occurred all too often. Regardless of the very personal reasons that caused families to fight each other, it is important to note that in general, the war itself was about states rights and tariffs, with slavery as only an adjunct issue."

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/fowler-103136-war-key.html

6. FourLeafClover

FourLeafClover First Sergeant

Makes me wonder Lee, if this sentence is attributable to the Mashburn family. Or if it is the opinion of the article author Jessica McCarthy.
    It is somewhat unclear in the article.
    Could be another example of journalistic mis-representation. Only the Mashburn's would know.

7. Glorybound

I think it's a separate letter to the editor of the News Herald, Dave, written by somebody who likely saw the reunion article as a chance to interject his own opinion on the cause of the war. If you click on the link his entire letter can be read.

Lee

8. FourLeafClover

FourLeafClover First Sergeant

Got that Lee. What I was pointing out was the direct quote from the Mashburns:

“It was binding this nation back together,” Mashburn said. “That was the primary thing. If you bind the family, it gives others inspiration, as well, and it helps bind the nation back together to heal the wounds.”

Followed by the next sentence:

That was especially important for the Mashburns because Richard Mashburn served in the Confederacy but his brother Stephen served the Union because he did not believe in slavery.

Which, lacking the quotation marks. Leads me to believe these are the words and opinion of Ms. McCarthy.

9. Glorybound

Sorry Dave, I misunderstood your original post. Yes I agree, I think that sentence is Ms. McCarthy's own opinion, that would be my guess, anyway.

FourLeafClover likes this.
  10. shanniereb

shanniereb Sergeant Major

Great post. I always enjoy reading your finds.

Glorybound likes this.
  11. LT.J.H.McDaniel

LT.J.H.McDaniel Sergeant Major

Im related to some Mashburns in Tennessee....Wonder ifins we some kin......:wink:

12. jessgettysburg1863

jessgettysburg1863 2nd Lieutenant

Nice artical Lee, some really great history there mate.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)