1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Tintype of soldier. Confederate?

Discussion in 'Period Civil War Photos & Examinations' started by chubachus, Oct 11, 2018 at 2:26 PM.

1. chubachus

chubachus First Sergeant

tintype soldier1.jpg
    Possibly identified as "Dr. Jas. W. Watson" which alternatively might just be the name of the person having the tintype copied onto a glass negative. Looks like he is wearing a gray uniform. No other information available.

Source.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. major bill

major bill Colonel Forum Host

Not sure on this one. Can the painted backdrop help us know where the image was taken?

Would Dr. Jas. W. Watson be a sergeant? I have a gut feeling this is a Union soldier.

tbuckley and James N. like this.
  4. James N.

James N. Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

But of course you know as well as I that a gray uniform does not a Confederate make. Case in point, the "obvious" Rebel cavalryman ambrotype below, which I bought back in the 1960's (featured in this week's Throwback Thursday) before such fakery became common. He came in a beautiful thermoplastic case with crossed U.S. flags and Union shield on both sides of the hinged case, making it unlikely he's anything but a Yank. Good thing I found and appreciated him, or else by now he would've been "swapped out" into a plain wooden case to become - viola! - a Johnny Reb.
    Civil War Ambrotypes 005.jpg

5. ikesdad

ikesdad Sergeant

I count a 9 button jacket yet cant make out the buttons.

6. Rusk County Avengers

Rusk County Avengers Corporal

My first impression is that this is a Union soldier, the backdrop being a big clue, from my experience such backdrops are rare in Confederate photos, plus the backdrop looks similar to several I've seen in Union photos. On this fella's uniform its unfamiliar to me, but I'm not an expert on Union militia uniforms, which this may be however the epaulettes and branch of service facing on his collar does have a Confederate ring to it, my gut tells me this guy is early-war Union Militia from some State up yonder.

7. chubachus

chubachus First Sergeant

Yes, very true about the camp scene backdrop. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a Confederate soldier in front of one.

Rusk County Avengers likes this.
  8. byron ed

byron ed First Sergeant

Let's note that the soldier sketched lower left in that backdrop is in a very dark uniform, so likely intended to be a Union soldier. That's a slam dunk, yes? A Confederate would not have himself posed in front of a Union camp scene.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 7:47 PM
  9. James N.

James N. Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

Except for missing the usual dark blue twill tape edging it reminds me of the sky-blue kersey jackets worn by original members of the Invalid Corps.

ikesdad and Rusk County Avengers like this.
  10. Rusk County Avengers

Rusk County Avengers Corporal

I thought it was a Invalid Corps until I looked closely and noticed the different trim. It's to bad the buttons on this fella's jacket are blurry.

James N. likes this.
  11. ikesdad

ikesdad Sergeant

I was thinking similar.

12. major bill

major bill Colonel Forum Host

I believe I have seen that painted backdrop before but can not place it.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)