Tintype of soldier. Confederate?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Not sure on this one. Can the painted backdrop help us know where the image was taken?

Would Dr. Jas. W. Watson be a sergeant? I have a gut feeling this is a Union soldier.

James N.

Major
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
View attachment 206937
Possibly identified as "Dr. Jas. W. Watson" which alternatively might just be the name of the person having the tintype copied onto a glass negative. Looks like he is wearing a gray uniform. No other information available.

Source.
But of course you know as well as I that a gray uniform does not a Confederate make. Case in point, the "obvious" Rebel cavalryman ambrotype below, which I bought back in the 1960's (featured in this week's Throwback Thursday) before such fakery became common. He came in a beautiful thermoplastic case with crossed U.S. flags and Union shield on both sides of the hinged case, making it unlikely he's anything but a Yank. Good thing I found and appreciated him, or else by now he would've been "swapped out" into a plain wooden case to become - viola! - a Johnny Reb.
Civil War Ambrotypes 005.jpg

My first impression is that this is a Union soldier, the backdrop being a big clue, from my experience such backdrops are rare in Confederate photos, plus the backdrop looks similar to several I've seen in Union photos. On this fella's uniform its unfamiliar to me, but I'm not an expert on Union militia uniforms, which this may be however the epaulettes and branch of service facing on his collar does have a Confederate ring to it, my gut tells me this guy is early-war Union Militia from some State up yonder.

chubachus

First Sergeant
My first impression is that this is a Union soldier, the backdrop being a big clue, from my experience such backdrops are rare in Confederate photos, plus the backdrop looks similar to several I've seen in Union photos. On this fella's uniform its unfamiliar to me, but I'm not an expert on Union militia uniforms, which this may be however the epaulettes and branch of service facing on his collar does have a Confederate ring to it, my gut tells me this guy is early-war Union Militia from some State up yonder.
Yes, very true about the camp scene backdrop. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a Confederate soldier in front of one.

byron ed

First Sergeant
Yes, very true about the camp scene backdrop. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a Confederate soldier in front of one.
Let's note that the soldier sketched lower left in that backdrop is in a very dark uniform, so likely intended to be a Union soldier. That's a slam dunk, yes? A Confederate would not have himself posed in front of a Union camp scene.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)