1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Value of personalized 1849 Pocket Revolver

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by ChampionRelics, Dec 17, 2017.

1. ChampionRelics

ChampionRelics Cadet

Hey guys, I would LOVE some input on this! I am not terribly up to date on the pricing for authentic Colt revolvers, but this one has been offered to me and I do not have a clue as to its value. All matching numbers, with some engraving still visible on the cylinder. Comes with what seems to be an original Colt powder flask. Serial number dates the pistol to 1862. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Nice Colt. If is VERY hard to price items from just a few photos. I prefer to hold it in my hand.

Mark A, Jobe Holiday and mofederal like this.
  4. ChampionRelics

ChampionRelics Cadet

Yeah, I can definitely understand that. Is there a price range that these personalized Colts run? I know it was a somewhat common practice to engrave the backstraps on these back in the 1860s, but they don't seem to come up for sale overly frequently.

mofederal likes this.
  5. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

That will depend on who AC Moorhead is.

6. mofederal

mofederal Captain

I like the look of the Colt. A very good piece. I am sure the value will be tied to the name on the back strap. Thank you for posting this @ChampionRelics.

ChampionRelics likes this.
  7. Mark A

Mark A Private

If you haven't purchased the Colt as yet I would take a long look at the stamped serial numbers. I'm not sure I like the difference in the numbers stamped on the trigger guard and frame versus the number font seen on the barrel lug. It would be interesting to see the numbers stamped on the wedge as another comparison.

8. mikekj

mikekj Corporal

Definitely a different set of stamps.

ChampionRelics and Mark A like this.
  9. ChampionRelics

ChampionRelics Cadet

Good eye, I did not even notice that! This is why I posted it, for you fellas to steer me in the right direction :smile:

10. Mark A

Mark A Private

Take note that with all of the dings in the metal on the barrel lug not one of those dings intruded into any of the stamped numbers. The dings are there in an attempt to disguise the fact that the barrel's original number was probably obliterated and then restamped to match is number on the frame. Take a long time to do an inspection and always try to have the item in hand or buy only from reputable sellers. Sadly there have been many spurious antique weapons coming out of your area of Mississippi over the last several years.

Jobe Holiday and ChampionRelics like this.
  11. cwtalker15

cwtalker15 Private

It is hard to tell from your pix...does the wedge have the spring in it? How about a number on it? Sometimes the wedges are replaced. I know of a similar Colt that is replaced with a piece of lead made into the shape of a wedge...

12. ChampionRelics

ChampionRelics Cadet

The wedge was numbered matching, but I really did not pay that close of attention to the numbers and fonts. I sure appreciate the guidance!

13. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Captain Trivia Game Winner

Take a look at some of the gun auction sites. It will give you a feel for range of prices. Also check the other number locations and lock up and movement.

14. James N.

James N. Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

There should also be serial numbers you don't show on: the backstrap on the flat of the buttstock; the cylinder; the cylinder pin; the loading lever between it and the barrel; and the wedge. (I know you said the wedge had a matching number but you didn't picture it.) On all those except the backstrap and cylinder, the serial no. may have been shortened to show only the last 4 numbers. I think it's a handsome piece, but vcvrelics is right that the identity of AC Moorehead could make a BIG difference if you can determine that. According to information from the antique gun shop where I've purchased most of mine, the Colt pocket models haven't held their value like the big militaries - M.1851 Navy, M.1860 Army, etc. - have. I purchased a similar example to yours (minus any identification or flask) recently there for $500: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/another-m-1849-colt-pocket-pistol.139189/

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)