Vinegar Valentines

NH Civil War Gal

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
https://emergingcivilwar.com/2019/0...rate-vinegar-valentines-during-the-civil-war/

Vinegars were printed from the middle of the 19thcentury until the middle of the 20th. They were, basically, socially sanctioned snark. They made fun of just about everything, from faint-hearted poetical lads to crazy cat ladies. They poked Civil War surgeons, Secessionists, Zouaves, and flirts. No one was exempt from the barbed humor of the Vinegar.
cdbe186daef330f10009d70d974b2595.jpg

vinegar-valentine-civil-war-nypl.jpg
No, they were not politically correct by today’s standards. They made fun of “Old Maids,” Suffragettes, the unmarried, people who were considered unattractive, and just about anyone who held an opinion contrary to that of the sender. Some are so awful that I cannot put them in this blog! They were racist, misogynistic, and just plain rude. If there were Civil War snowflakes, they would have melted away rather quickly if sent one of these horrid little missives.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Hey, @NH Civil War Gal ! I was just about to post on these. You beat me to it.

Vinegar Valentines could be brutally cruel:
1550152797791.png

1550153546390.png
Or pointedly judgmental:
1550152919636.png

1550153650576.png
The complete history of this un-lamented phenomenon, as told by the New England Historical Society, can be found in "The Vinegar Valentine that Ruined a Romance"

NH Civil War Gal

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Hey, @NH Civil War Gal ! I was just about to post on these. You beat me to it.

Vinegar Valentines could be brutally cruel:
Or pointedly judgmental:
The complete history of this un-lamented phenomenon, as told by the New England Historical Society, can be found in "The Vinegar Valentine that Ruined a Romance"
I just read that link. Wow, those thing were dangerous!